Saturday, February 9, 2013

A tale of a forgotten book, an iPad and how 21st century technology saved a lesson plan

My Kindergarten plan this week centered around melodic direction, steady beat ostinato and linking the concept of size to pitch levels. A major focus of this lesson included the children's book "Mortimer" by Robert Munsch and Michel Martchenko (Annick Press). The perfect exploratory activity, filled with relevance, real-world connections, engaged students. And cue the life of a full-time working mom with two elementary school-aged children--instruments set in F pentatonic, poly spots on the floor, step bells arranged strategically and book left forgotten on my desk in my dining room. A quick trip to the school library tragically unfulfilling and a desperate, deflated music teacher walking back to the music room with slumped, disappointed shoulders. About 6 months ago I treated myself to the most basic, refurbished iPad (read "cheapest") available through the Apple store and it has become an indispensable part of my teaching every day. I'm not quite sure what prompted me to look in iTunes for the book Mortimer this past week, but there it was, ready for purchase and instantly downloadable onto my device. The children don't bat an eye at these modern marvels, as it is as natural to them as a traditional book and I'm able to magnify the screen so they can read along with me. We were able to enjoy the book together and explore musical skills and concepts while reinforcing what they are learning in their regular education classroom. I remember promising myself when iPads first hit the market to buy myself one when they came equipped with a camera. Fantasizing about the day I would set it on my music stand with my lesson plans there at my fingertips and picking it up to record the various musical explorations that occur throughout the day in my Orff-based music room seemed as far off an actuality as the videophones The Jetsons used in that future-based cartoon. And here I am, using it precisely as I imagined and surprised at how seamlessly it enters into my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment