Thursday, February 7, 2013

One word. Give me just one word!

All I need is one word. Just one. I strongly believe the arts provide many opportunities for students to develop musical skills and reinforce concepts across all disciplines. Finding creative ways to collaborate with grade level teachers in the limited short chunks of time we have between classes can be quite a challenge, but one too important to overlook. Most every teacher I know will tell you they have precious little time during the school day beyond weekly grade level meetings to collaborate and plan with colleagues within their own grade levels. Finding time to make connections with teachers of the arts is even more challenging with scheduling conflicts, administrative duties and prep times filled up with returning emails and phone calls, preparing materials, grading papers and general record keeping! This week I plan to make a space on my classroom door for teachers to jot down anything that they are working on in their classes or grade levels. Give me one word and I can take it and run. Second graders may be learning about sound waves? Effortless connection. Third graders and multiplication tables? I've just the perfect tool to practice math facts while reinforcing steady beat, attention to a conductor, dynamics and movement. All I need is one word.

No comments:

Post a Comment